As summer fades and the leaves start to fall, autumn sets the perfect stage for cozying up with a good book. Whether you’re an avid reader or just looking to get lost in a captivating story, there are a few bookish essentials that help create a fall haven for your next reading session. From snuggly blankets and aromatic candles to delicious hot beverages and atmospheric music playlists, we’ve got you covered with all the must-have items that will enhance your reading experience during this enchanting season. So grab a warm cup of tea and prepare to embark on a literary journey to find the best bookish essentials for fall.
THIS ARTICLE MAY CONTAIN COMPENSATED LINKS. PLEASE READ THE DISCLAIMER FOR MORE INFO
Read Also: All A Wandering Scribbler Gift Guides
Create a Cozy Reading Nook
Before getting into our individual fall bookish essentials, I wanted to talk about one large essential that I think is needed for any book lover at any time of the year, and that is a cozy reading nook. A cozy reading nook can provide you with the ultimate escape from the outside world, allowing you to immerse yourself in captivating stories. Whether you have an entire room or just a small corner, here are some tips for creating your own personal reading sanctuary.
1. Find the Perfect Spot: Look around your home and identify a quiet and peaceful area that is well-suited for your reading nook. It could be near a window with lots of natural light or tucked away in a snug corner. If you’re short on space, you can create a reading nook in your bed. Bring all of your essentials to your bedside table, and you don’t have to take up other space in your home.
2. Comfortable Seating: Invest in comfortable seating options like an oversized armchair, recliner, or even a chaise lounge that you can sink into while getting lost in your favorite books. Make sure it provides proper back support and has sufficient cushioning for extended periods of sitting.
3. Soft Lighting: Adequate lighting is essential for any reading space. Opt for warm and soft lighting options like table lamps or floor lamps that emit gentle rays instead of harsh overhead lights. You can also add fairy lights or string lights to create an enchanting ambiance.
4. Cozy Blankets and Cushions: Enhance the comfort factor by adding plush cushions and blankets to snuggle into during those chilly evenings when all you want is warmth while diving into captivating stories.
5. Bookshelves/Storage Space: A dedicated space to store your beloved books nearby is crucial for any reading nook. Install bookshelves on empty walls or use floating shelves to display your collection within easy reach.
Here are some essentials for creating your reading nook:
No good reading nook is complete without some cozy cushions. For our fall essentials, we choose some adorable and plush pumpkin pillows to add a little extra fall vibes to your reading area. Or, choose these fall pillow covers for even more festive colors. If overt fall decor isn’t your thing, try these orange corduroy pillow covers for just the right amount of fall vibes.
You’ll also want to wrap up in a cozy blanket to keep warm on your cozy reading marathons. This sherpa-lined plaid Eddie Bauer blanket has the perfect touch of fall while being high quality and sure to make you extra cozy. For an extra fall look, try this fall decor throw with colorful leaf designs. For a more subtle look, try an orange knitted throw or an orange fleece blanket.
While it’s not essential to get new furniture just to create your reading nook (you may already have the perfect chair, cozy bed, or secret corner that might just need a few items to make it your perfect area), but some of you may be looking to create your perfect reading nook so here are some of my recommendations. This futon chair bed features thick cushions, a wide seat, a deep cup holder, side pocket, and it converts into a bed. This wicker papasan chair is the perfect place to cozy up in a corner. Or, this sherpa armchair and ottoman set is aesthetically pleasing and super comfortable.
Depending on where your reading nook is, you may or may not already have some book storage in place with built-in shelves or ledges. While you can definitely keep your book collection elsewhere, I love the idea of being surrounded by at least some books while in my reading zone. Plus, you can always use some If you need somewhere to place your book when not reading, to rest your drink, or place a lamp.
This modern 5-tier bookshelf, or these floating shelves can help you store and display your books nearby your reading nook. This rolling storage organizer is perfect if you move your reading nook around, or you just want versatile storage. If you want an end table to sit next to your reading seat, try this c-shaped side table that can slide under certain chairs or beds to act as a small desk or table. This retro end table offers plenty of storage for books, blankets, and drinks, while this small round end table offers good space for drinks and a basket for blankets underneath.
If there’s one thing that truly sets the mood for any occasion, it’s candles. With amazon aromas that create the perfect fall ambiance and the subtle flicker of the flame, a candle will make you feel the cozy vibes in just a few moments. Some of my favorite candles are from Yankee Candle like the Macintosh scent, or the Autumn Wreath. Or, try the Hello Fall Candle with cinnamon, apple, and clove, or the Cozy Season Candle with citrus, warm spice, and woods. For an extra cozy experience, try a Woodwick Candle that crackles like a fireplace. Try Pumpkin Butter, Applewood, or Cinnamon Chai. And speaking of a fireplace, if you’re able, this Electric Fireplace could add ambiance and added warmth to your room for even more cozy vibes.
Other Fall Bookish Necessities
Now that you’ve got your reading nook set up, there are still a few more things you’ll need to be ready for your reading sessions. First are bookmarks. These Edinburgh Ghost bookmarks are cute and perfect for bookish travelers. These Autumn Festival bookmarks are great for Gilmore Girls fans, and these Autumn-themed bookmarks are just the thing for general fall lovers.
Read Also: Literary Travel Guide to Edinburgh
If you’ll be on the move this fall, a good tote bag is just the thing to carry along your current read. Try this ghost bookish tote for the cute vibes, this fall drink tote for fans of pumpkin spice, this Salem tote for witch lovers, or this fall doodle tote to display all of your favorite fall items.
Get Comfortable Clothes for Long Reading Sessions
If you are a book lover, you know about important it is to be comfortable during those long reading sessions. Wearing the right clothes can make a huge difference in enhancing your reading experience. Here are some tips on finding the perfect attire for those cozy reading marathons:
1. Opt for loose-fitting clothing: Tight or restrictive clothes can be distracting and uncomfortable when you’re trying to fully immerse yourself in a book. Choose loose-fitting items like oversized t-shirts, flowy dresses, or baggy sweaters that allow for unrestricted movement.
2. Consider soft fabrics: Look for materials that are gentle on the skin and feel soothing against your body as you settle into your reading nook. Cotton, bamboo, or modal fabric options offer breathability and softness, providing optimal comfort.
3. Layer up with cozy cardigans: Reading indoors doesn’t always guarantee a consistent temperature throughout the day or night. Keep yourself prepared by layering up with a cozy cardigan or lightweight jacket that you can easily add or remove depending on your comfort level.
4. Don’t forget about bottoms: While most of our focus tends to be on upper body comfort during reading sessions, choosing the right bottoms is equally essential. Opt for stretchy leggings, relaxed-fit pants, or even comfy pajama bottoms that won’t constrict your movements while lounging.
5. Pick socks wisely: Cold feet can quickly ruin a good reading experience! Ensure maximum coziness by slipping into warm and fuzzy socks made from wool or super-soft fleece.
Read Also: Bookish Essentials for Winter
Here are some great clothing options:
What is more cozy than an oversized sweatshirt? Obviously a fall-themed oversized sweatshirt. Some of my favorite options are the fall coffee sweatshirt with doodles of your favorite fall drinks, a fall essentials text sweatshirt featuring your fall faves, a Harry Potter fall coffee sweatshirt, with cute drink doodles in a Harry Potter theme, a ghost reading books sweatshirt, for an adorable bookish outfit, and a black cat on a pumpkin for a more generic fall/Halloween sweatshirt.
To go with your sweatshirt, pick some extra comfy sweatpants. These baggy joggers are oversized and perfect for long reading sessions while these fleece-lined joggers are extra comfy and warm. If you want some extra fall vibes, try these fall doodle sweatpants with images of a pumpkin, coffee, football, and leaf, or try these hocus pocus-themed pants that come with a matching shirt that are great for your spooky books or annual rewatching of the movie.
To finish off your cozy outfit, grab some cozy wool socks or slippers to keep your toes toasty. Try some cute and cozy striped wool socks or these solid-color wool ones for an extra cozy reading spree. For some extra cozy fall vibes, try these fall icon embroidered socks with leaves, flowers, or stripes, or these plush and cozy jack-o-lantern slippers.
Try Some Warm Drinks for Book Lovers
To top off your cozy reading experience, you must have a warm drink. In my opinion, at least, there’s nothing better than curling up with a good book and a hot, comforting drink on a chilly evening, For all the bookworms out there, we have compiled a list of delightful warm drinks that will enhance your reading experience. So grab your favorite novel, find a cozy spot, and indulge in these delicious creations.
Some of my favorite cozy drinks are:
1. Spiced Chai Latte: Indulge in the aromatic blend of spices with this classic Indian-inspired drink. Brew some strong black tea along with cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, cloves, and ginger. Add warm milk and sweeten it to taste using honey or sugar. The rich flavors of chai will transport you to distant lands while keeping you cozy throughout your reading journey.
2. Hot Cocoa with a Twist: Elevate your hot cocoa game by experimenting with different flavors. Add a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg for an extra kick or try caramel or peppermint syrup for added sweetness and freshness respectively. Top it off with whipped cream or marshmallows for that perfect finishing touch.
3. Mulled Wine: For those who enjoy sipping on something stronger while getting lost in their favorite book, mulled wine is the way to go. Simmer red wine along with citrus fruit slices (orange or lemon), cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise over low heat until fragrant. This warming elixir will not only keep you warm but also add a touch of sophistication to your reading time.
Some drink accessories I recommend are:
An Espresso Machine
Some of the best and most widely appreciated fall drinks are made with espresso. Personally, I love my Nespresso machine for its ease. I highly recommend it. But some people prefer something a little simpler (and less expensive) like the Mr. Coffee espresso machine, or the Bellemain Stovetop Espresso maker.
To help make espresso drinks, a milk frother is a must. If you buy a Nespresso from the link above (or you found another deal) a frother is usually included. But if not, you can find an inexpensive handheld frother, or a slightly pricier one like this Instant Pot frother.
If you’re not a fan of espresso or just not ready to start making espresso drinks at home, a good old coffee maker can do the trick. You can grab a single-use coffee make like a Keurig, or a larger one like the 14-cup drip coffee Cuisinart.
If coffee isn’t your thing, try a warming tea. Tea can be a lot less complicated to make, but there are still a few essentials that make your tea experience that much better and easier. An electric kettle is the first step, ensuring you have the proper water temperature to make a great cuppa. A teapot like this wood and stone teapot can help you steep your tea properly.
And finally, what to drink your warm fall drink in but a fall-themed mug? Etsy sellers are on top of the cozy fall vibes for all things, especially mugs. Some of my favorites are the cute ghost bookish Halloween mug, perfect if you want to match your book toteback mentioned above, the leaf acorn fall mug for a subtle vall aesthetic, a hello fall mug with doodles of fall essentials, and a pumpkin-shaped mug for the perfect addition to your mug collection.
Downloadable Fall Drink Menu- Make Your Favorite Starbucks Drinks at Home
Make a Seasonal Reading Lists
After you’ve created your reading nook, grabbed your hot drink, and pulled on your comfy clothes, you obviously need the book. For your fall cozy reading session, I would obviously recommend a cozy fall book, but you are free to read whatever your heart desires. If you’re not sure where to start, here’s a short guide to creating a fall reading list to help get you in the autumn mood.
1. Explore Different Genres: Start by considering which genres or themes resonate with fall. Mysteries and thrillers can be perfect for chilly autumn evenings. Even if you aren’t a huge fan of mysteries, I recommend you try one to see if it gives you the cozy vibes you’re looking for in fall. By diversifying your genre choices, you may also get out of a reading rut and bring a fresh perspective to literature.
2. Research New Releases: Stay up-to-date with upcoming book releases that align with fall’s cozy vibes. Many authors often time their book launches around specific seasons, capturing their essence within their narratives. Dig into literary news websites or follow social media accounts dedicated to books to discover exciting new titles that may enhance your chosen theme for each season. Some of my favorite mystery authors release their books in the fall and I also look forward to each September and October for new books that help me get into the spirit.
3. Classic Literature: Don’t forget timeless classics. Some novels seamlessly blend with any season and have become synonymous with certain times of year. Think “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens for winter or “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee for summertime nostalgia. Including these gems in your seasonal reading lists will deepen your connection with literature across different eras.
Other Bookish Essentials
Now that we’ve found all of the fall bookish essentials, let’s get into bookish essentials that can be used at any time of the year. This list helps bring you a little bit of coziness all year and makes storing or organizing your books and bookish goodies organized.
A Bathtub caddy is the perfect accessory for bath reading sessions. You have a place for your drink, book, and other bathtub necessities.
A bookstand is a great option for hands-free reading. You can set up your novel on the table in front of you, or place your cookbook nearby but out of the way of the food. It’ll hold your page for you and ensure your where you need to be.
Depending in your eyesight, you may already have reading glasses. If you don’t, I even recommend blue light glasses for reading on a screen.
A personal library kit is the perfect way to bring back old library nostalgia while keeping organized about when (and how often) you read a good.
Keep track of your yearly reading goals in a reading journal like this one from Moleskine. It’s the perfect way to jot down your likes, dislikes, and thoughts about your current read.
Self explanatory. Keep your books looking neat with some snazzy bookends. If you want some bookends that are a little more spooky for fall, these Skull Bookends can be a great addition to Halloween decor or just to add some more unique design to your home.
If e-books are your thing, or your doing a lot of traveling, a kindle is a must-have. This Kindle Paperwhite is so easy on the eyes that it’s almost like real paper.
A personalized book embosser is the perfect thing to claim the books in your collection. Or, if you prefer, choose a personalized book stamp.
For late-night reading or dim lighting like on planes or cozy coffee shops, try a lightweight booklight.
Last, but not least, add some twinkling fairy lights for the perfect amount of soft lighting to your book nook or reading area. Perfect for cozy fall nights.
The arrival of fall brings with it a cozy and nostalgic atmosphere that is perfect for indulging in our bookish passions. Whether it’s curling up with a hot cup of tea, snuggling under a warm blanket, or exploring the pages of an enchanting novel, fall is undoubtedly the season to embrace all things bookish. By incorporating these essentials into our reading routine, we can fully immerse ourselves in the magic and beauty that literature has to offer during this time of year. So grab your favorite autumn-inspired reads, gather your bookish essentials, and let yourself be transported to new worlds and captivating stories as you enjoy the crisp air and changing colors of fall.
Mackenzie Jervis is a writer and founder of the bookish travel blog A Wandering Scribbler. With a passion for travel, she has visited 65 countries and had the opportunity to live on 3 continents and in 6 U.S. States. She has an MFA in Creative Writing and has written about her travels for a variety of publications. When not writing, she is probably at the gym, exploring wherever she happens to be, or reading the next book on her list.
Pin This Post