Are you looking for travel insurance for your next trip?

Look no further.

World Nomads has been my go-to insurance company for travel for a few years now while I’ve made my way to all corners of the globe, with and without my son. World Nomads provides travel insurance to travelers from over 140 countries.  They are backed by reputable insurers and 24-hour assistance providers.

The great thing about World Nomads is they have family policies. We’ll get into that later. But first. What’s travel insurance and why do you need it?


What is travel insurance?

Travel insurance is designed to help cover your expenses if something goes wrong on your trip, and fill any gaps that wouldn’t be covered by your primary medical insurance or other insurance you may have. It’s not meant to be a substitute for primary medical insurance and won’t cover non-essential medical treatment, such as routine exams.

Travel insurance usually covers travel at a certain distance from your home (100 miles or more, in the case of World Nomads). You pay the insurance company a fee, called a “premium,” which can vary based on where you’re traveling, how long your trip is, your age, and what activities you plan to participate in. The insurance company agrees to cover costs (up to a certain limit) for things like emergency medical treatment, lost or stolen luggage, delayed flights, or non-refundable expenses should you have to cancel your trip.

Travel insurance can be an affordable way to protect yourself against unforeseen events. Having to cancel your long-anticipated trek in Patagonia due to a family emergency is bad enough without having to forfeit all your costs as well. Also, your personal medical insurance may not cover costs while traveling out of the country or might exclude certain activities. With travel insurance, you can explore your boundaries (within reason, of course) and still be covered.

Here are some travel insurance FAQ s provided by World Nomads.

Take a look to see if travel insurance is right for you and if World Nomads is a good fit.

Most of these answers are targeted toward U.S. customers but World Nomads caters to most citizens worldwide.  Check with World Nomads to check on your specific situation.

What’s covered and what’s not?

The full list of things we cover is too long to include here, but in general our coverage includes:

  • Emergency medical and dental expenses (including accidents that happen while participating in one of our many covered sports and activities)
  • Emergency evacuation (medical and non-medical)
  • Trip delay, cancellation, or interruption due to an unforeseen event
  • Lost, delayed, damaged, or stolen gear or bags

Travel insurance isn’t designed to cover everything. Terms, conditions, and exclusions do apply, so be sure to read the full Travel Protection Plan to avoid surprises. You can view your policy after getting a quote.

Here are the main things that aren’t covered:

  • Expenses related to a pre-existing medical condition (see below)
  • Non-emergency medical expenses, such as eyeglasses or contact lenses, routine physical exams, or cosmetic procedure
  • Items left unsupervised in a public place or unattended vehicle
  • Gear damaged while in use

What activities, sports, and adventures are covered?

We know our World Nomads like to get active when they travel, so we cover more than 200 sports and activities at a range of levels, depending on whether you buy our Standard or Explorer Plan. Check out this complete list to see if the adventure you’re after is on it.

But we don’t cover carelessness. You must be acting responsibly at all times and not put yourself deliberately in danger (for instance, riding a motorbike without a helmet in Thailand).

What’s a Family Policy?

A family policy covers 1 or 2 adult travelers whose ages are 69 years or younger at the time of purchase, and up to 7 dependent children who are 25 years of age-old and younger (maximum 9 travelers per policy) at the start date of the policy (or the start of any subsequent insurance period purchased).

At least one adult on the policy must be the legal guardian of the dependent child/children. All people on a family policy must be US citizens or US residents and traveling together on the same itinerary and reside in the same state. If all family members do not reside in the same state, you can purchase single policies for each insured who resides in a different state in order to provide the correct state policy to each person.

**This information is for U.S. citizens so if that’s not you, the information might be slightly different.  Check Here for your exact situation.**

But you probably have a few more questions…

What is my country of residence?

The US is your country of residence if you’re a U.S.A. citizen or resident with a U.S.A. residential address and unrestricted right of entry into the US. You must be able to provide documentation (a driver’s license, for example) to prove your U.S.A. address.

For purposes of this insurance, the U.S.A is all US States, the District of Columbia, and overseas US Military bases. It does not include US Territories (Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, the US Virgin Islands, and American Samoa).

Why do I need to provide proof of residency?

If you get sick or injured on your trip and need to be transported back home, it’s important for us to know where you live (for obvious reasons). And while no one likes to think about this, we need to know where to transport your remains if you die.

We also need to make sure we connect you with the right travel assistance team, who can coordinate with your home doctor and insurance provider if necessary, and help with other country-of-residence-specific things like replacing a lost passport.

Why does coverage differ between different countries of residence?

Insurance partners and regulations vary depending on your country of residence, so what’s covered under your U.S. policy may differ from what’s covered under your Aussie or French or Canadian travel buddy’s plan. For the same reason, prices will also vary for travelers from different countries, even if they’re on the same trip. And regulations can even vary between states, which is why you need to select a home state when you ask for a quote.

Why does coverage differ between different countries of residence?

Insurance partners and regulations vary depending on your country of residence, so what’s covered under your U.S. policy may differ from what’s covered under your Aussie or French or Canadian travel buddy’s plan. For the same reason, prices will also vary for travelers from different countries, even if they’re on the same trip. And regulations can even vary between states, which is why you need to select a home state when you ask for a quote.

Am I covered if I have pre-existing medical conditions?

Not typically. Pre-existing medical conditions – unless they are controlled and stable – are not covered under our policies for US residents. Not to get too technical, but a pre-existing condition is defined as something that you have showed symptoms of, been treated or tested for, recommended you be tested for, or received a prescription for in the 90 days prior to the effective date (or six months prior, for policies purchased before June 7, 2017).

Does my travel insurance cover medical costs upfront?

It depends. World Nomads will arrange and pre-pay emergency medical evacuations.

For other covered medical expenses, the insured pays out of pocket and then submits a claim to be reimbursed.

In all cases – even if your injury or illness seems fairly minor – you should call our 24-hour Emergency Assistance number.

  • +1-855-878-9588 (toll free within the US and Canada)
  • +1-603-328-1329 (toll free outside the US and Canada)

Our team can help you with finding the most suitable medical facility, negotiating fees, and expediting payment. This will also establish a claim record, so the claim can be resolved more quickly.

Keep in mind, World Nomads travel insurance is secondary to any health coverage you have at home, which means it does not cover care or treatment that is payable under your other policy. Our coverage will pay additional expenses (up to the policy limit) after your primary insurer has paid whatever it is obligated to pay.

Am I covered if I’m traveling on a one-way ticket?

Yes, a lot of our World Nomads travel that way! You don’t need a return ticket to buy our insurance, but if you must return home without having a return ticket, we’ll need to deduct the cost of your transport home from your claim.

Can I buy a travel insurance policy if I’m already overseas?

Yes, you can be traveling anywhere in the world and still buy a policy. You can purchase it for any duration you choose (from 1 day up to 12 months). Check the policy wording for details on when coverage begins and ends.

Can I add more travel insurance coverage to my current policy?

We aren’t able to extend your existing policy, but if you extend your trip, you can buy a new policy online while you’re traveling. Just sign into your World Nomads membership and follow steps to purchase a new policy.

Some limitations apply – get more details here.

Family Travel

How can I make a claim?

You can claim online while traveling or after you return home. You can also contact the Customer Service Team for help.

Claiming online is easy. If you’re already a World Nomads member, you’ll just need to sign in, follow the claims path and attach your supporting documents. If you’re not a member, you can either create an account that lets you lodge most claims electronically or you can get in touch with our customer service team, who’ll send out a paper form for you to complete.

Before you submit your claim, gather all relevant bills, invoices, and other documentation providing evidence of the covered incident, which will help the claims team assess and process your claim. Depending on the type of claim, these documents might include:

  • A copy of your trip itinerary and/or invoice showing departure or return from the US
  • A copy of your US driver’s license or government-issued I.D.
  • Statements showing your payment for the trip
  • Proof of ownership for stolen or damaged items
  • An official written report (police, hotel staff, airport staff etc.) of lost, stolen, or damaged items
  • Credit card statements showing payment for medical services rendered
  • Written documentation of trip cancellations or delays, including reason for delay, revised itineraries, and receipts for additional expenses incurred

If you’re unsure what documents you’ll need, just call our Customer Service Team:

  • 1-816-905-3963 (Direct/Collect)
  • 1-844-207-1930 (Toll-Free within USA)

Definitely take a look at World Nomads if you’re looking for travel insurance for an upcoming trip (or if you’re already on one).  Have you ever used World Nomads? Let me know your story in the comments!

This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at you extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using the links. You can also see my full Disclosure and Terms and Conditions (you know, the real boring stuff).

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial